MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, and MERV rating is the primary rating system used for air filtration. Higher ratings remove a larger percentage and broader range of debris from the air.
WHY REPLACE MY AIR FILTER?
- Removes unwanted dust, dirt, and other indoor particles
- Lowers the cost of energy in your home or business
- Prevents triggers of indoor allergies and asthma
- Lessens mold and mildew growth
WHY INCREASE AIR FILTER MERV RATING?
MERV ratings are designed to measure a filter’s ability to capture and hold particles and pollutants. The higher the MERV rating, the more particles – dust mites, pet dander, air allergens, etc – your filter will capture. Matching the right MERV filter to your needs will improve your home’s air quality and will extend the life of your furnace or air conditioner.
Merv-6 = Lint, Household Dust, Pollen
Merv-8 = Dust Mites, Mold Spores, Lint, Household Dust, & Pollen
Merv-11 = Pet Dander, Smoke, Smog, Coughing & Sneezing, Dust Mites, Mold Spores, Lint, Household Dust, Pollen
Merv-13 = Dust & Lint, Pollen, Dust Mites, Mold Spores, Pet Dander, Smoke, Smog, Cough & Sneezing, Virus, Bacteria
WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR FILTER BY MERV RATING
- MERV 6 – Change every 30 Days
- MERV 8 – Change every 60-90 Days
- MERV 11 – Change every 60-90 Days
- MERV 13 – Change every 60-90 Days